What others have been saying about this course:
SAS: Self Assisted Stretch - Self AquaStretch
This course was fantastic! Easy to follow and with a wealth of practical information. I feel with some practice I can quickly incorporate into my aquatic therapy/aquatic fitness practice. I also feel I will benefit from this personally in working...
SAS: Self-Assisted Stretch • Self-AquaStretch
For Individual Use • Group Exercise • Therapists
Do you have arthritis or old injuries that make movement stiff and painful? Do you have tight tissues from repetitive activities?
SAS is a self-administered manual technique that restores range of motion and decreases pain with movement.
SAS expands the use of techniques from AquaStretch™ (a one-on-one aquatic manual therapy). These amazing fascial-release strategies work great in the water, but also on land.
SAS is for anyone desiring deep, effective fascial release and restored range of motion. SAS allows therapists, trainers and instructors to teach individuals and groups to use AquaStretch™ techniques.
SAS techniques can achieve results similar to those experienced with deep tissue massage, foam roller work, and AquaStretch™. Instructors can bring these amazingly effective fascial-release techniques to group classes. AquaStretch™ facilitators can learn to use SAS on themselves, and empower clients to continue fascial work on their own.
SAS includes simple, practical techniques for use in the pool or at your desk.
Whenever range of motion is the focus, SAS will improve results. If you are a therapist, trainer or instructor, this course offers strategies for teaching clients to use SAS in water and on land. The techniques learned here are an excellent addition to traditional stretching exercises and therapeutic techniques.
SAS evolved from the author's daily use of AquaStretch™ with a wide variety of clients. People achieve effective fascial-release and relief when they self-administer SAS. Therapists, instructors, and trainers can empower clients with this essential practical tool. Anyone can learn to resolve pain wherever and whenever it occurs!
SAS Course Objectives:
This course will:
- Practice self-application of SAS techniques.
- Demonstrate effective SAS grips and holds for the lower extremities, upper extremities, core and neck.
- Model self-application of the AquaStretch™ procedure (Play • Freeze • Pressure • Move).
- Provide practical strategies to perform SAS in the water and on land.
- Recommend useful equipment for SAS in the water and on land.
- List recommendations for applications of SAS techniques in group classes and at home.
- Explain the origins of SAS: Self-Assisted Stretch based on Self-AquaStretch, including AquaStretch™ terminology.
SAS can be taught by group aqua fitness leaders, trainers and therapists, as well as land-based exercise instructors.
Warm, waist-to-chest deep water is an ideal place to use SAS because of the amazing effects of immersion. However, most SAS techniques can be effectively adapted for use on land.
You won't believe the results and relief!
- SAS in Action FREE
- Intro to SAS FREE
- 1. SAS: How to Use this Course FREE
- 2. SAS Course Objectives & Disclaimer FREE
- 3. SAS - Try It! FREE
- 4. Why Learn SAS? FREE
- 5. Who Benefits from SAS? FREE
- 6. What is AquaStretch™? FREE
- 7. The Evolution of SAS FREE
- 8. About our SAS Model - Jan
- 9. Meet - Jan Sharpe
- 10. Jan Before and After SAS
- 11. Individual Responses to AquaStretch™ and SAS
- 12. About the Author FREE
- 1. Learning to Use SAS
- 2. Teaching SAS Concepts
- 3. What is Intuitive Movement?
- 4. What Does a "Release" Feel Like?
- 5. No Bad Pain
- 6. Using Your Hands for SAS
- 7. Useful Pressure Tools for SAS
- 8. SAS Using Buoyancy and Weights
- 9. Using Buoyancy to Facilitate SAS
- 10. Summary: SAS Objectives FREE
- 11. SAS Pool Recommendations
- 12. Combining SAS with Exercise
- 1. Overview: Press where it hurts and move!
- 2. SAS Technique Summary
- 3. AquaStretch™ Foot, Ankle & Toe Grips
- 4. AquaStretch™ Foot Grips in the Pool
- 5. SAS - Foot, Ankle, Toe, Achilles & Arch
- 6. Land-Based Options for the Foot & Ankle
- 7. Ball Work for the Feet
- 8. Land-Based Options for the Ankle - Using Hands
- 9. SAS Foot Grips for Water and Land
- 10. SAS for the Calf
- 11. SAS for the Knee
- 12. SAS for Ilio-Tibial Band (ITB) FREE
- 13. How to Do SAS for ITB
- 14. SAS for ITBand
- 1. SAS for the Shoulder Region
- 2. A/S and SAS for the Scapular Region
- 3. Systematic SAS for the Shoulder Region
- 4. SAS for the Scapular Region
- 5. SAS for the Upper Shoulder
- 6. SAS for the Neck
- 7. Other Tight Tissues
- 8. SAS for Jaw and Sternocleidomastoid Muscle (SCM)
- 9. SAS for Thumbs
- 10. SAS: Help for Painful Parts
Founder, Master Trainer
About the instructor
“Always, my motivation is the welfare of the person seeking better health: people in rehab after injury or surgery, the inactive person hoping to create a positive change, weekend warriors, and athletes. By offering research-based, quality training for these individuals, as well as their instructors and therapists, my goal is joyful improvement and better health through movement.” Connie Jasinskas
About: Connie Jasinskas, M.Sc., brings over 30 years of experience, passion and humour to her work as an international health and fitness educator. She is an award-winning innovator in therapeutic aquatics. Connie created the AQX aqua fitness leadership training and certification program, offering facilities the opportunity to train and certify aqua fitness staff in-house. AquaBility (gentle aqua fitness), AquaNatal, AquaTots, AquaStrength, Float-Fit, and AquaCycling are all one-day specialty certification courses with the AQX program. At home in Cambridge, Canada, Connie provides SAS: Self-AquaStretch, AquaStretch™, therapeutic aquatic exercise, pain education programs, OsteoFit classes, Training for Trainers, and instructor certification in a variety of specialties. Her depth of experience and enthusiastic approach to active learning have delighted learners on four continents and in numerous countries. Connie is a sought-after trainer, presenter, author and keynote speaker.
Education: H.B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc. (Exercise Physiology)
Qualifications: Certified Exercise Physiologist, Aquatic and Rehab Specialist
Proprietor: For the Love of Fit (www.FortheLoveofFit.com)
AquaStretch™ Author and Facilitator-Trainer (www.AquaStretchCanada.com)
Author, Master Trainer: AQX Leadership Excellence Course, AquaBility, and AquaNatal; co-author of AquaCycling and AquaTots Leadership Training & Certification courses
ATRI Faculty (www.atri.org): Tsunami Spirit Award winner (2014) for innovation in aquatic therapy and rehabilitation