Exercise on floats (SUP boards or floating mats) is a new trend in fitness programming. The challenge of exercising on an unstable, floating platform is exciting! Balance, core strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular fitness can all be improved by exercising on floats.
AQXonFloats applies to fitness programs using stand-up paddle boards or floating mats. Are you preparing to instruct or participate in floating exercise training? This course prepares instructors to offer dry-land prep sessions and best practices for their water classes. Participants will learn basic skills and concepts to get the most from fitness programs on floats.
This course is required before participating in AQXonFloats practical pool training.
How do you effectively use this floating platform ("Float") as your fitness foundation? Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Who is best suited to participate in this course?
- What skills do people need before heading to the water?
- What dryland exercises prepare people for AQXonFloats?
- How do you get from ON to UPRIGHT?
- How do you change positions on the float?
- What happens when you fall off?
- What terminology should instructors and participants be using?
- What techniques work best to have a safe, successful floating fitness session?
- What about using hand-held equipment?
- What exercises work best to achieve desired fitness goals?
This course prepares you to go to the water! Before you get on the water, it's important to:
- Understand terminology.
- Consider who is (and is not) suited to participate in AQXonFloats training.
- Practice land-based techniques to succeed on your float.
- Preview best exercises for this training.
- Make the best use of this fabulous fitness tool!
- 1. Intro to AQXonFloats Land Exercises + Power Posture
- 2. Fitness Components Targeted by Exercises in this Course
- 3. Where and How?
- 4. Balance Exercise Objectives FREE PREVIEW
- 5. Warm-up
- 6. Warm-up PDF
- 7. Balance Moves on Land
- 8. Land Exercises to Mimic AQXonFloats Moves
- 9. Dryland Practice on a Float: Mount • Stand • Dismount
- Quiz #1
- 1. Preparing for AQXonFloats Pool Classes
- 2. Managing Floats & Tethering Options
- 3. Will I Get My Hair Wet?
- 4. Solo Poolside Mount & Dismount
- 5. Float Mounts in the Water
- 6. Float Mount in Chest Deep Water
- 7. Float Mount in Deep Water
- 8. Safely Falling Off Your Float FREE PREVIEW
- 9. Building Confidence on the Float
- 10. Best Exercises for Floating Classes
- Quiz #2
- 1. Group Class Design
- 2. Class Flow & Participant Progress
- 3. Warm-up Recommendations on the Float
- 4. Warm-up Activities
- 5. Standing Squats for Muscle Conditioning & Balance
- 6. Cardiovascular Exercise - Intro to Board Running
- 7. Board Running • Cardiovascular Work + Balance
- 8. Prone Running / Sprints
- Quiz #3
- 1. Quadruped Bird Dog • Core Work & Balance
- 2. Prone Plank from Knees and Toes
- 3. Changing Positions on the Float • Flexibility • Balance • Strength
- 4. Lateral Leg Raises Two Ways • Muscle Conditioning & Balance
- 5. Lateral Planks from Knees • Core & Balance
- 6. Lateral Planks from the Feet • Core & Balance
- 7. Supine Arm Options • Balance Progressions
- 8. Supine • Hip Bridges
- 9. Use of Elastic Resistance
- 10. Use of Paddles & Other Equipment
- Quiz #4
This course is a pre-requisite for practical AQXonFloats training courses and workshops. Are you preparing to use your own SUP board? Are you joining or instructing floating fitness activities? Whatever your reason, we're glad you're here! Enjoy the course.
Connie Jasinskas, H.B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc.
Founder, Master Trainer
About the instructor
“Always, my motivation is the welfare of the person seeking better health: people in rehab after injury or surgery, the inactive person hoping to create a positive change, weekend warriors, and athletes. By offering research-based, quality training for these individuals, as well as their instructors and therapists, my goal is joyful improvement and better health through movement.” Connie Jasinskas
About: Connie Jasinskas, M.Sc., brings over 30 years of experience, passion and humour to her work as an international health and fitness educator. She is an award-winning innovator in therapeutic aquatics. Connie created the AQX aqua fitness leadership training and certification program, offering facilities the opportunity to train and certify aqua fitness staff in-house. AquaBility (gentle aqua fitness), AquaNatal, AquaTots, AquaStrength, AQXonFloats, and AquaCycling are all one-day specialty certification courses with the AQX program. At home in Cambridge, Canada, Connie provides AquaStretch™, therapeutic aquatic exercise, pain education programs, OsteoFit classes, Training for Trainers, and instructor certification in a variety of specialties. Her depth of experience and enthusiastic approach to active learning have delighted learners on four continents and in numerous countries. Connie is a sought-after trainer, presenter, author and keynote speaker.
Education: H.B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Sc. (Exercise Physiology)
Qualifications: Certified Exercise Physiologist, Aquatic and Rehab Specialist
Proprietor: For the Love of Fit (www.FortheLoveofFit.com)
Inventor: The Wave Rider - pelvic flotation device
AquaStretch™ Author and Facilitator-Trainer: www.AquaStretchCanada.com
Author, Master Trainer: AQX Leadership Excellence Course, AQX Training for Trainers, AQX Mentor & Assessor Training Course, AquaBility, and AquaNatal; co-author of AQXonFloats, AquaCycling and AquaTots Leadership Training & Certification courses
ATRI Faculty (www.atri.org): Tsunami Spirit Award winner (2014) for innovation in aquatic therapy and rehabilitation
Visit and Like her FaceBook page: FortheLoveofFit